Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Vision


Two yurts have been purchased, our first is on order and is currently being built by a local company called Rainier Yurts. The yurt is 21ft. in diameter, 338 square ft., with two doors and four windows, the walls are 7’x4” high with the center dome sitting at 13’. It will be ready for us to pick up May 21st.

Our second yurt was purchased two weeks ago from the Springmeyer family who had owned it for the past five years. It is a Pacific Yurt, a 25 year old company in Oregon. It is 20ft. in diameter, 314 square ft., with two doors and four windows. the walls are 6’ high with the center dome sitting at 10’.

The new yurt will be meant for our cooking and living room space, and the used yurt for sleeping, bathing, and toilet. Our vision is to set both yurts along side each other, eventually building a covered deck to connect them.


I have been trying to think of names for the yurts in part because yurt's make me think of sailboats, designed to be moved, with a pleasing wooden frame, surrounded by huge sheets of canvas, also because I dislike saying yurt 1 and yurt 2. Today I asked Angi if she liked Fajr and Isha. In honor of our good friend Jill who just recently departed to the East Coast. Fajr is the dawn prayer of Muslims, the first of five completed through out a day, which seems fitting with the new yurts use as our daytime space. Isha is the evening prayer, the last of the five, appropriate to the older yurts role as bedroom.

* A Jill story
Jill introduced herself to me one day when I was working at the espresso cart on Seattle University. She said “Excuse me but what’s your heritage? I said my mom’s Mexican and my dads of British decent. She said oh! I was just wondering what it took to make some one so damn cute” She never paid for a cup of coffee, and I had a wonderful friend for many years to come. Thank you Jill your very missed.

No comments: